What is chronic venous diseases insufficiency
In normal veins, valves in the vein keep blood moving forward toward the heart. With venous insufficiency, the valves do not function properly, allowing blood to stay in the vein. Blood that pools causes the vein to swell and twisted (Varicose veins) and it leads to various symptoms even before varicose veins. Venous insufficiency at saphenofermoral junction is a common cause of varicose veins.
- Defective values from birth
- Standing for a long time and having increased pressure in the abdomen.
Diagnosis and Testing
- Usually clinical diagnosis
- Doppler USG may be needed to find out the cause and reflux document sephanofemoral.
Definite Treatment Needed For
- Leg pain, which may feel heavy or tired.
- Thickening and hardening of the skin in the legs and ankles with oedema or Skin ulcers.
- Improving the appearance of the legs
- (varicose veins)
- Local paraesthesia (tingling, burning,
- Rarely superficial burns.
- Doppler USG used to map areas of
- Venous reflux
- Under USG guidance, local anaesthetic introduced along the course of varicose vein
- Appropriate entry point on the vein
- accessed above or below knee joint.
- RF catheter portioned into vein below SF junction.
- Thermal energy delivered at multiple points along the vein as catheter is gradually withdrawn.
Symptoms and signs
- Fullness, heaviness, aching, and pain in
- the legs
- Visible, swollen veins (Varicose Veins)
- Unexplained oedema of feet.
- Brown color of the skin at the ankles.
- Skin ulcers near the ankle
- Avoid standing for too long.
- Raise your legs when resting or sleeping.
- Wear elastic Stockings.
(A) Surgery, stripping of veins, to remove varicose veins in the legs. Drawbacks of surgery
- Need for larger multiple incisions
- Higher complication rates.
- Poor cosmetic results
- Prolonged hospital stay
- General/spinal Anesthesia.
(B) RADIO-FREQUENCY ABLATION (Venous Closure Procedure)
- Works by thermal destruction of venous tissues using electrical energy.
- Electrodes at the tip of special catheter touch the vein walls and deliver Radiofrequency energy
Post procedure care
- Non invasive
- High success rate >90%
- Rare need for repeated procedure
- Less complications & Pain
- Better cosmetic results
- High patients satisfaction (>95% patients report recommending to a friend)
- Early ambulation
- Shorter hospital stay
Varicose Veins is due to engorgement of blood vessels in leg, which return blood from legs to heart.
Varicose veins cause swelling in leg with blue blood vessels which are seen over the leg. Ulcer in foot or leg may occur due to varicose vein.
In initial stage, we can treat this with some special socks (Compression Stocking) and avoid prolonged standing and keep one leg elevated.
We have special technique to treat varicose vein in which no surgery or cut is required. Only needle prick is needed and with special catheter, we treat varicose vein and give injection of medicine which treat varicose vein.
Next day of procedure, we can discharge the patient.
Procedure has minimum pain compared to surgery and is done under local anesthesia.